Can You Find Affordable Car Insurance for Young Drivers?
One of the only things that is tougher than getting a teen or young adult trained to be a good driver, is to get them insured at an affordable price. Insurers see teens and young adults as high risk drivers, and young males are even judged more harshly than young females. This is not an arbitrary judgement, but it is a judgement that insurance underwriters reach after keeping years of statistics on the amount of claims that are made because of younger drivers. As a group, drivers under 25, just tend to be a higher risk group. So insurers may charge more to insure them.
Teens and Young Adults Have Strengths Too
A younger driver does not have to be a bad driver. Think about the strengths that teens have over their middle aged parents. It is likely that their reaction times and eyesight are better. All they lack, really, is experience in real world driving situations. They may also tend to lack a bit of caution Because of this, more teens are bound to make mistakes than older and more mature and experienced drivers.
Discounts for Young Adult and Teen Drivers
Here are some things a younger driver can do to make up for a lack of experience and maturity.
- Drivers Education Classes - These classes combine classroom an vehicle training from a qualified teacher. They should also include sessions on alcohol and drug awareness. They do help, and since insurers recognize this, many companies offer auto insurance discounts for students who complete a drivers education class.
- Good Grades At School - Since your young.driver lacks any driving history of their own, they may demonstrate responsibility in another way. Some insurers offer a discount for students with a B average or better. The statistics on accidents that these companies keep show that students with better grades tend to show more responsibility about other things too.
- Keep Up A Good Driving Record - As time passes, and a younger driver simply goes without an accident or traffic violation, rates will drop.
Family Discounts That Help Find Lower Rates for Younger Drivers
Of course, it is probably easiest to get better rates by including the younger driver on the family auto policy. Discounts that the whole family gets will help keep rates more affordable. Many insurers offer discounts that will apply to everybody on a family policy.
- Multiple Policy Discounts - Many insurers offer a discount for multiple vehicles or drivers. In addition, insurance companies that offer home and car insurance will often offer a discount for different lines of business.
- Safety Discounts - Premiums are also set by the type of vehicle. Some are just considered safer than others. Insurers even consider factors like how likely a specific model of car is to get stolen. Auto safety and anti-theft devices are also common. If you are shoppng for a new vehicle these are things to consider. If you have a car already, you may want to see if you can install an anti-theft device to bring rates down and make that car more secure.
Liability Only Auto Insurance
One solution to very high premiums may be to purchase an older vehicle. If you can pay cash for the car, you can just buy liability insurance. If you owe money to a lender, that lender will probably force you to purchase collision and comprehensive insurance too. Sometimes they even require GAP insurance, and this is an extra expense. This solution does not work out for everybody, but it is something to consider.
Find The Best Car Insurance Rates for Young Drivers
It can take forever to call around for the best rates and policies for your family. We make it simple to compare insurance quotes with our online competitive quote forms!
Learn more: Under 25 Auto Insurance.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Marilyn_Katz